ASTRASAND® is a continuous sand filter, in which the filter bed is continuously cleaned during the filtration operation. It can be applied for different purposes: for physical-chemical treatment (solids removal) and/or biological treatment (phosphate and nitrogen removal).
ASTRASAND® is already applied in more than 350 projects worldwide, on different types of water, such as process, waste, surface, cooling and ground water.
Applications of continuous filtration by ASTRASAND®
- Biological nitrification/denitrification
- Polishing of municipal and industrial wastewater
- Re-use of water in combination with membrane filtration and disinfection
- Direct filtration of surface water with in-line flocculation
- (Biological) side stream filtration of cooling water
|Typical influent and effluent characteristics|
|Biological denitrification (in mg NOx-N/l)||10 - 50||0 - 5|
|5 - 10||0 - 1|
|Phosphate removal (in PO4-P/l)||5 - 10||1 - 2|
|1 - 2||0.1 - 0.2|
|Suspended solids (in mg TSS/l)||40 - 200||10 - 50|
|10 - 40||1 - 10|
|Biological nitrification (in mg NH4+-N/l)||5 - 30||0.2 - 2|
Advantages of ASTRASAND®
- Robust, continuous, self-cleansing system
- Capable of coping with fluctuations
- Suitable for physical-chemical as well as biological treatment (or a combination)
- No moving parts, thus high up-time and low maintenance
- Compact installation with small footprint
- Constant effluent output
- Low operational costs
- Modular design
- Proven over 20 years
Reuse of effluent of a municipal wastewater treatment works ...
Meeting consent levels with continuous sandfiltration ...
Simultaneous denitrification and phosphate removal of STW ef...
Removal of ammonia, nitrate, COD/BOD and TSS: several projec...
Zinc refinery free of solid waste ...
Frozen food production: closed loop installation reduces wat...